Firefly has been a labor of love from the beginning…
Several years ago, I started writing a story for my son, Jack. He was about six years old at the time. I reckoned it might take me a little while to finish a full-length novel, so I aimed for a middle-grade feel, similar to books by Kate DiCamillo, Beverly Cleary, E.B. White, C.S. Lewis, and others in that genre. Clicking away on my keyboard in the wee hours of the morning, Firefly began to take shape as the tale of a wily firefly named Flash who has a hankerin’ for mischief.
A few years later, I finished my initial draft of the book and printed one copy to give to Jack on his 9th birthday. What a joy it was to read Firefly together.
Now, thanks to my publisher, Black Rose Writing, I have the pleasure of sharing Firefly with you.
AND, I’m super excited for you to see the spectacular illustrations artist Janelle Jordan created for the book—you are going to love the depictions of Flash and his crew in the midst of their epic adventure.
Though this book follows the story of a firefly, Flash makes the same kinds of mistakes humans make all the time. He can be cocky and selfish and impulsive, and he does things he regrets. Flash discovers that the only way out of the trouble he gets himself and his friends into is through it.
It is my hope that children (and adults) who read Firefly will be entertained by the comedy and action of the story, but that they’ll also find inspiration to live with courage—an undervalued virtue in our fear-laced age.
Firefly, if anything, is a story of hope.
So, Where Can I Buy This Book?
Glad you asked! Firefly is available most places books are sold online. Here are a couple places to get started:
- Amazon: Paperback, Kindle
- Barnes & Noble: Paperback, Nook
- Target: Paperback
- Google Play: Ebook
- Black Rose Writing (publisher): Paperback
After a daredevil stunt goes horribly wrong, firefly Flash will need more than his wit and cocky attitude to fix the mess he’s made of his life.
Flash just gained the ability to illuminate and fly, and it’s gone to his head. He flits around his hometown of Temple Hollow avoiding work and finding mischief.
When his latest daredevil stunt spirals out of control, he lands himself and his two friends far from home in a dangerous desert in Texas. Meanwhile, Temple Hollow is captured by a goon-squad of tyrannical dragonflies—and that’s Flash’s fault, too.
After a mysterious encounter in the desert, Flash inspires a ragtag band of Misfits to join him on his mission to return home. The Misfits encounter trouble at every turn, yet these challenges are nothing compared to the epic battle awaiting them back in Temple Hollow.
Packed with comedy, action, and insights for children of all ages, this middle grade adventure is the perfect chapter book for independent, family, and classroom reading.
Read Firefly today . . . and see the Light!
- BOOK TITLE: Firefly: Let There Be Light, a middle grade adventure
- PUBLISHER: Black Rose Writing
- SIMILAR TO: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (Kate DiCamillo), The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C.S. Lewis), The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Beverly Cleary), Stuart Little and Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White), The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
- GENRE: Middle Grade Fiction
- SUBGENRES: Adventure, action, humorous fiction, comedy, Christian middle grade fiction, fiction featuring animals
- READER AGE: 8-12 years old and up
- FORMATS: Paperback, ebook
- ISSUES EXPLORED: Courage, redemption, love, loss, faith, journey of the hero, spiritual journey
- PUBLICATION DATE: October 21, 2021
- PRESS RELEASE: Download PDF here.
- PRESS INQUIRIES: email@example.com