Inspired by Paul Laurence Dunbar’s poem, “Sympathy,” You Are a Bird is an allegorical exploration of your spirit’s desire to be free. This debut novella by Breezy Van Lit is written in 2nd person POV (point of view) and present tense to pull readers into the peculiar world of the quirky protagonist bird—You.
“Refuse to be caged.” —Breezy Van Lit
Sympathy by Paul Laurence Dunbar
I know why the caged bird sings!
1899, Public domain
- BOOK TITLE: You Are a Bird
- AUTHOR: Breezy Van Lit
- PUBLISHER: Shimmer Tree Books
- SIMILAR TO: The Great Divorce (C.S. Lewis), Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Richard Bach), Bright Lights, Big City (Jay McInerney), Animal Farm (George Orwell)
- GENRE: Inspirational Fiction
- SUBGENRES: Christian Fiction, metaphysical fiction, visionary fiction, fiction featuring animals
- READER AGE: Teen and up
- FORMATS: eBook, Paperback, Hardcover
- ISSUES EXPLORED: Freedom, courage, redemption, faith, journey of the hero, spiritual journey, mental health, self-harm, confusion
- PUBLICATION DATE: July 4, 2022